Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

how do you replace the tail light on a 1999 camry

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 years ago.

Have you opened the truck and see if it accessable from the inside? Are you wanting to replace just the bulb or whole lamp assembly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I raised the trunk and moved the lining to access the light compartment. I can easily replace the back up light by just twisting the socket and pulling it out. However, the tail light is not accessible. It looks to me like you have to pull the lens off to get at it. I've removed the 3 nuts on the screws sticking out, but the elns will stil not come off.

How do I get the tail light lens off ??

You may have to pull out the lamp assembly like this...

corolla/tails/remove_rubber2.jpg" alt="" width="400" height="300"/>

The Toyota Repair manual doesn't cover this procedure step-by-step so I'm having a hard time finding pics. One of the bulbs appears to have 2 filaments.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THat picture is of the turn signal brake light assembly on the fender..

The tial light assembly and that I'm trying to replace is on the trunk lid.

Camry/100_1304.jpg" border="0" alt="" width="768" height="1024"/>

Like this..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm still waiting for you to acknowlege the fact that we are talking about the tail light assembly that is on the trunk lid. THere is not enough clearance betwween the socket hole and the trunk lid to allow you to get the tail light socket out withoout pulling the lens cover off.

How do you pull the lens cover for the tail light ?

If you cant get to the bulb you will have to remove the 10mm nuts and the lamp assembly, then replace the bulb.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have removed the three nuts, two inside the housing and one on the left side.

However, the lens cover will still not come off. It almost seems like I have to now unscrew the bolt stems that the nuts were on. It doesn't make sense, but its the only thing I can think of.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is I'm hoding the three nuts and the lens cover still is not loose. I've tried to pry it up, but I'm afraid I will break it. Something is still holding it.

Since you can't help me, I guess I will have to take it to a Toyota dealer service shop.

Ugh !!