AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.

94 toyota pickup w/ 22RE motor- idle surges after it warms

94 toyota pickup w/ 22RE motor- idle surges after it warms up- is fine when cold- not overheated- tryed unhooking battery and letting cool down- starts surging when warmed up------what's going on?   how do I correct it? how to reset it? had happen a long time ago- thought we unhooked battery and was ok
Category: Toyota
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

The main reason for surging is excessive air getting past the throttle body and causes are :

1. Vacumn leakages. Check for disconnected vacumn hoses. Faulty PCV, leaking brake booster or hoses.

2. Idling speed adjusted too high. Check the idle adjust screw.

3. Throttle cable adjustment. Must have sufficient free travel.

4. Leaking manifold gaskets.

5. Idle Air Control valve. Stuck and not closing correctly. Cleaning the throttle body and IAC helps.

Is the Check Engine Light showing while driving?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
check engine light does not come on- had this happen before-- the head was replaced with a new one about 6mths ago, and they told us that it was surging, so they unhooked the battery to clear codes- any idea what idle speed should be? previous to that-- it's probably been 2 yrs since it did it-   the temperature display probably goes up to 1/4 of the scale and the surging starts-- that's where it operates normal, and doesn't go up any higher. It's just getting to daylight now, and I'll look over some of these things.

Check the coolant hoses to IAC and level in radiator as well. Clogging of coolant hoses would cause the problem.

At operating temperature, the specs are as follows.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked coolant level------- ok ( 1/2" from top ) got a chance to look at today ( monday )--- found 3/8" hoses which apparently circulate water thru that throttle body block-- blew them out with air, everything is open, as it comes out both ways-- sprayed a throttle body cleaner all around the butterfly--- usually try to road test after I do something- drove around for 20 min- OK--- drove home a 1/4 mile pulled into driveway-- starts surging---- I've looked over the vacuum lines, seem ok. Everything seems to be on, lowered rpms to 1000 ( his truck is a 5spd ) still don't have a engine warning light- temperature hasn't gone above apprx 1/4 of scale. read info on throttle sensor switch, and it said turning the wheels all the way right or left should put extra load and speed up motor--- doesn't--- read somewhere else that it could be oxygen sensor- nuts on studs almost rusted off- it's right in front of catalitic converter-- carquest wants $112 for new one- seems high for guess----- not sure why it seems a little more intermittent---- when I think it's fixed it comes back and kicks me.

The idling rpm sgould be 750. At 1000 it would surge when it is just reaching warmed up temperature. Recheck the coolant level again.