Toyota/Lexus Expert
Toyota/Lexus Expert, Toyota Master Diagnostic Specialist
Experience:  10 Years Toyota Lexus Experience. ASE Master Certified. ASE L1 Certified, Hybrid and Scion Certified
13565537

1999 1.8 toyota trouble code P1656 OCV circuit malfunection.

Customer Question

1999 1.8 toyota trouble code P1656 OCV circuit malfunection. Where is this part at?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota/Lexus Expert replied 5 years ago.
Hi im Paul. I would be very happy to help you quickly. I just need to know what model you have. Is it a corolla?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is the Chey Prizm, Toyota motor. I took a motor from a 99 prizm and installed into a 2000 prizm. The motor was running when it was de-installed from the 99 car. I'm unable to start the car now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got the code using a OBD II

The problem is in 2000 they went to the VVT system with the oil control valve. You have a 1999 Engine which is not equipped with that and your engine ecm is from your 2000 Prizm. If you want to use that engine you need a ecm from a 1999. I hope this helps you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So If I swap the ECM it should work
Yes it will. Your ecm is looking for the oil control valve for the VVT and it is not there. It will work with the other ecm. That is pretty much the only change from 1999 to 2000. Thanks for the question and I hope you are totally satisfied with your answer. Thank you
If i have helped you please hit the accept button, If not please ask me any questions you have. Thanks, Paul.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed out the ecm and still have that error, not for sure what to do next
Still have the same codes also?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

now all I get is a error when I run the test. Checked the cable and see no issues