Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

how can I replace the alternator belt on my toyota pickup it

Customer Question

how can I replace the alternator belt on my toyota pickup it has a R22 engine the make is 1989
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing

If you have air conditioning and or power steering these two belts need to be removed first. This is done by loosening the 14 mm pinch bolt on the adjuster pulley and loosening the adjuster bolts. There is one 14 mm pivot bolt on the bottom of the alternator that needs to be loosened then 1 12 mm pinch bolt at the top of the alternator then push in on the top of the alternator to loosen the belt.

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cant get the tension of the other belt, it goes around three pulleys this vehicle has air conditoning but not power steering

The smaller pulley has a 14 mm nut you have to loosen this nut. Then using a 14 mm socket and extension unscrew the long adjusting bolt that goes up through the small pulley this will allow the belt to be loosened and taken off. The small pulley should rise upwards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The smallest pulley is the top pulley. I have taken the long adjusting bolt out. Explain the nut part, I find none only bolts.
You are working on the 1989 R22 engine? When I tried to take the
bolt out it is a clutch system and will not loosen only turns in the
same dirrection
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
R22 Engine 1989 model
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the top pulley is the smallest pulley. I have taken the long adjusting bolt out. but the bolt will not loosen that holds
the pulley on it is a clutch system and turns the same way I turn the bolt

You're not trying to take the compressor clutch off are you? You said this did not have power steering and it has only air conditioning correct? Click on the link below and save the PDF. In the large red circle click on the yellow caption for a sticky note for more information.