Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. We blew a fuse on the dome lights.

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna. We blew a fuse on the dome lights. We replaced the fuse and now the dome lights will only go off if we use the manual override. The dash door adjar light now remains on even though all doors are closed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 years ago.

Are you sure you checked all the doors and closed them?

2 front

2 Sliding

Rear tailgate

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I have checked all doors several times. I read a similar post on the net, so i'm not the only one who's had this problem. Another symptom that is likely related is the remote key or the electric lock will not lock the doors since they think the door is ajar. I removed and checked the driver side door switch with a continuity meter. It's working fine.

Do you have a DVOM and are you ready to start checking each switch?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

All 4 door switches checked out ok. I could not locate the trunk switch, I'd likely have to remove some plastic covers.

Two other clues:

The light on the driver door (the one that only turns on when the door is open) does not work (bulb good). The one on the passenger side works normally.

After replacing the fuse, I smelled an electrical smell.

I'm thinking it is not the rear hatch switch. Is there some kind of relay or brain that is tied into the door light circuit?

Here is the schematic to your Sienna and the interior light.....

If you smelled something electrical, that's not good.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the schematic- very helpful. At this point I would say it is most likely the Body ECU. The schematic gives page numbers 34-41 for locating the various components in the car. Can you send them? Have body ECU's been a problem on this model? Part number???

The body ECU's have not been a pattern failure problem but I have replaced a few and yes in this case, it does control the interior light. I have included the all pages for this schematic and I hope this helps. The part number might be stamped on the ecu or just a quick call to your local Toyota Dealer and they can give it too you. Thank you again,