Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

Camry: ignition key..the ignition switch..housing..cylinder

Customer Question

Camry 97 - The ignition key stuck in lock position, would not turn to acc. I have muscled my way with it but to no avail. I was able to remove the lower dash panels and remove the ignition switch from behind the ignition main housing and am able to start/stop engine with a screw driver (Yes luckily the wheel is not locking after many tries, although risky but can drive the car around) I know I can push the pin under the cylinder to slide the cylinder out but it needs to be in the ACC position. There is a soft round cap/plug in the hole where the cylinder pin is supposed to be housed (one that needs to be pushed in while in the ACC position to get the cylinder out). I have read some suggestions to drill it out but not sure if that would ruin the main housing and/or if the new cyllinder would remain in the housing? Need to know the best approach in removing the ignition cylinder from the housing. Pictorials and/or part diagrams/CAD views etc. would be nice.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for using just answer.
No there are no pictures/diagrams or videos for altering the repair procedures.
I wouldn't try to drill out the pin or you can easily damage the housing.
Step 1 here I would try getting the dealer to cut you a new key from the vin#, sometimes a new/fresh key will better move the tumblers and allow you to turn the worn cylinder.
What I usually do in this case is use a center punch and force the pin up into the cylinder by hitting the pin with a punch and hammer, this damages the cylinder but does not hurt the housing.