marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/ASE/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision w 18 yrs exp licensed adjuster
17579256

How does one replace the headlight bulb on a 2008 Prius Tour

How does one replace the headlight bulb on a 2008 Prius Touring model. I have read the manual about removing the bumper cover and then the headlight assembly. I cannot believe this is the only way. Would like step by step directions. I have a phillips and know how to use it. I attempted to do it by removing the fuse cover. impossible to access bulb. Was able to get cover off. Not sure if I can get it on.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to just answer. I will send the details to you. You need to be careful on these. If you accept this please hit the green payment tab. Thank you

Removal
Notes

LIGHTING: HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY:

REMOVAL

• Use the same procedures for the RH and LH sides.
  • The procedures listed below are for the LH side.
  1. DISCONNECT CABLE FROM NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL CAUTION: Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal to prevent airbag and seat belt pretensioner activation.
  2. REMOVE FRONT FENDER LINER LH (See: Body and Frame\Bumper\Front Bumper\Service and Repair\Removal)
  3. REMOVE FRONT FENDER LINER RH (See: Body and Frame\Bumper\Front Bumper\Service and Repair\Removal)
  4. REMOVE FRONT BUMPER COVER (See: Body and Frame\Bumper\Front Bumper\Service and Repair\Removal)

1. REMOVE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY LH
(a)Remove the 3 screws.
(b)Pull the headlight towards the front of the vehicle, disconnect all connectors and remove the headlight.
  1. REMOVE NO. 1 HEADLIGHT BULB (w/o HID Headlight System)

Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.
a)Turn the headlight socket cover in the direction indicated by the arrow in the illustration to remove it.

(b)Push the set spring in the direction indicated by the arrow in the illustration to remove the No. 1 headlight bulb.

NOTE: Do not touch the bulb glass with your fingers.

1. REMOVE HID HEADLIGHT BULB (w/ HID Headlight System)

(a)Turn the headlight socket cover in the direction indicated by the arrow in the illustration to remove it.

Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.
(b)Turn the headlight light control ECU socket in the direction indicated by the arrow in the illustration to remove it.

(c)Push the set spring in the direction indicated by the arrow in the illustration and remove the discharge headlight bulb.

1. REMOVE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULB

(a)Turn the clearance light socket and bulb in the direction indicated by the arrow in the illustration to remove them.
  1. REMOVE FRONT TURN SIGNAL LIGHT BULB

(a)Rotate the front turn signal light socket and bulb in the direction indicated by the arrow in the illustration to remove them.
  1. REMOVE HEADLIGHT LIGHT CONTROL ECU SUB-ASSEMBLY (w/ HID Headlight System)

Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.
(a)Remove the 4 screws, headlight cover and gasket.

(b)Remove the 2 screws.

(c)Disengage the claw and disconnect the connector, and then remove the headlight light control ECU.

HINT: If the bulb socket cannot be removed due to interference with the reflector, turn the aiming screw counterclockwise, move the reflector, and then remove the bulb socket.

1. REMOVE HEADLIGHT LEVERING MOTOR ASSEMBLY LH (w/ HID Headlight System)

(a)Rotate the headlight leveling motor in the direction indicated by arrow (1) in the illustration.
(b)Rotate the aiming screw on the headlight leveling motor in the direction indicated by arrow (2) in the illustration and remove the shaft.
(c)Pull the headlight leveling motor towards you to remove it.