Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

my car is stuck in park and I cant change gears. im planning

Customer Question

my car is stuck in park and I can't change gears. i'm planning on trading it in on Saturday. Is there a way to temporarily fix the problem so that I can drive it until saturday and sell it? its a 93 corolla
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Yes there is a easy way around this, would you like assistance fixing this or just advise on how to get it out of gear easily so you can drive it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
id like to just get it out of gear. then I can just keep it in nuetral and use the emergency brake, right?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Look just above the "P" position on the shifter base, there is a small panel that pops up, remove this and use an ink pen to push down in this opening. This is the shift lock override. Start the car and this acts in place of the shift lock solenoid.

CHECK TO BE SURE THAT THE BRAKE LAMPS ARE OPERATING ON THE CAR before you drive it, the shift lock solenoid recieves a signal from the brake light circuit, you may have a blown fuse and no brake lamps causing your issue but this will get you out of gear for now.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i've already tried that and it didn't work. The brake lights aren't coming on so while i admittedly don't know a lot about cars, it would appear to be a problem with the brake sensor. is thereanything else that i can try?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

If you puched down on the shift override lever it should release the shifter....are you sure you are engaging the shaft down there to properly override it?????

There is a 15 amp fuse labeled STOP that controls the circuit.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was able to get the car out of park, but in order to get he brake lights to work, I just have to do something to that switch? it's under the dash? should i just flick it off and then back on?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

The brake lamps operate off the brake lanp switch on the brake pedal, the switch is powered by the 15 amp STOP fuse that powers the switch/shift lock and brake lamps. Check the fuse first.

Does this anwer your questions? I am going to log out soon (11pm here....Surprised)