Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2001 Toyota Camry LE: Ignition switch..ACC..Steering wheel is..park

Customer Question

2001 Toyota Camry LE , Ignition switch won't turn from ACC to on position. Steering wheel is free, tried in park and neuteral, no help. Tried original key and two copy keys, still won't turn . Could it be some kind of interlock issue?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 years ago.

Did you just buy the car?

How were the keys made---copied from the original one that didn't work?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We have had the car for about 3 years. The two spare keys were copied three years ago from the original. they have always worked just fine.
When this problem happen I was in the middle of troubleshooting a rear light out warning displayed on the dash indicator lamp. Replaced both stop/tail light lamps.
Fault still there. Un plugged the master brake resevoir wire and jumped it out. When I tried turning the ignition to see if the fault was gone, the ignition switch would not turn to on position. Checked fuse panel under hood to veriy all fuses tested good.

It sounds like we have some different possibly unrelated problems here. Lets just start with the key issue.

Let me know if I'm wrong here, the issue is that the key will go into and out of the cylider normally but when you insert it, it can't be turned from the off position to the start position?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes that is correct
and you said that the steering wheel is free to move? Have you tried turning the key while moving the steering wheel back and forth?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, the key still won't turn past the ACC position
The only thing I can think of is that the key is the issue or something internally to the cylinder malfunctioned. I find either one hard to fathom but based on what we have discussed that is the only conclusion.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I agree with what you say. I just find it hard to believe that the ignition would just fail with out any previous symptom of key turning issues. I believe the keys are ok. I don't think three different keys would fail.
I agree.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Removed the ignition switch.Upon examination the internal tumbler has failed. Replaced
the ignition switch with a new one. Car now starts okay. The second issue was a failed center stop lamp located near rear window. car is okay now.
Way COOL! I'm glad to see when things like this go right. It seemed like a one in a million but by letting us talk it through, we fixed it. Thanks!