Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota camry: random misfire..coil..air filter..Vacuum hoses

Toyota Camary 2000 with random misfire on cyclinders 1 and 4 (on the same coil). Put in new plugs and air filter. Vacuum hoses appear to be okay. Would the coil be intermittent or is it something else
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Is this a four cylinder or a V-6 engine? How many miles are on the vehicle? Can you give me some history on the vehicle and what you have tried so far?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2000, Toyota Camary, 4 cylinder, approximately 138000 miles

changed spark plugs, and fuel filter, put fuel additive in gas tank (drove approximately 50 miles), engine misfires through all speeds. check engine light is intemittent.

Provided you have ruled out the spark plugs, compression and ignition wires it is possible that you may need to do the injectors and the computer There is a service bulletin to address this issue. Click the link below and save the information.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qnmmmzr1gmz

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have not checked compression.

Does the misfire on cylinders 1 and 4 give any clues, like it is the coil?

Check the compression on the cylinders you need at least 145 PSI.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you dodging the coil question or you don't know based on the information?

Did not see that in the original question. I will look it up and get back to you I am off line for dinner. Let me know if that worksfor you.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's fine, I haven't had a chance to do anything else with the car. Maybe this evening. Thanks.

The ignition coil that is closest to the front of the car is for cylinders 1 and 4 the back ignition coil fires cylinders 2 and 3.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, but if the codes are 301 and 304 for cylinder 1 and 4 misfires, is it likely that it is the coil since they are both connected to the same one?

Yes this is a possibility. I do not remember if the connectors for the coil packs will interchange. I believe they will if this is the case switch the wires around and switch the connectors around and see if you can get the misfires to go to two with three. The test procedures for the coils are the same. Unfortunately if you ohm test them they probably will check good. I do know we have a lot of issues with the misfire on this particular year in engine and a lot of it has been attributed to the injectors. The other option would be to swap the injectors around and see if you can get the misfire to go to cylinder two and three.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try switching the wires around. It made things worse, so I'm not sure if I didn't change the wires right or what happen.

If you change the wires around that will only work if you switch the connectors on the coils if they will interchange. The computer is not going to know that you changed the coil wires around and is firing the coils the same.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did switch the coil input and the plug wires from one coil to the other. I didn't check to see if I needed to reverse the plug wires, I assumed that the position on the coil would stay the same. It didn't like it. It gave another code, but I don't recall what it was. I switched them back, and it went back to the previous codes (300,301 and 304).

If you switch the plugs to the coils i.e. swap electrical connectors or coils it will be necessary to transfer the wires to those corresponding coils otherwise you will set ignition codes especially if these plugs are disconnected with the key on or during cranking. I assume you have checked the wires these wires are known to arc through the tubes down in the cylinder head. Do you understand what I am referring to when I say switch the electrical connector from coil to coil then change the wires to the corresponding coils that the electrical connector is switched to?

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked the wires outside the cylinder head, by looking at them in the dark to see if I could see arcing.

As far as switching wires, I think that is what I did, unless I managed to get one set backwards when I swithed them.

I hope to have more time to work on it this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Let me know how goes it will be monitoring most of the weekend. While the engine is running if you pull one wire at a time up about two or 3 inches so that you can see the shaft that goes down in the sparkplug tube is there any arcing through the plastic tube of the wire to the shaft of the engine. The other thing you can do is mist the wires down with a spray bottle with water in it and see if the cylinders misfire or arc and short out.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I took the injectors out. One injector from #4 showed an open circuit while the others had little resistance. I'm going to replace the injectors. You seem to have been pointing me in the right direction. Nobody had them instock that was open on Saturday, so I should have them today (monday).

Would one bad injector make another cylinder show a misfire?

No it is not likely that one injector would cause another injector to show a cylinder misfire. If you could swap the injectors around to see if the cylinder misfire changes but that would be about the only option.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I changed the injectors. It appears to have corrected the problem.

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome and if you need anything in the future just ask for me and I will get back to you.

RXXXXX XXXXX