Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

2003 Toyota Matrix: Instrument Panel..gas gauge, Tach..fuses

2003 Toyota Matrix: Instrument Panel will not light up. Will not register gas gauge, Tach nor any other gauge. Checked all fuses one by one. All I have done was change the oil and the cabin filter.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

Are you stating that this issue happened right after oil change and filter change?

All gauges are dead correct? Do the backlights operate when headlamps are activated?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, after the oil change. All of the headlamps and rear lights work.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

That should not have caused this.....what all did you remove or do when trying to access the cabin filter?

You also said you checked fuses, did you check just condition or did you actually test for power? Did you check both fuse blocks?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just removed the glove compartment to change the cabin filter and placed it back with no problem. I checked both fuse boxes but I did not check for current.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I think I wasn't clear on a previous question, when you turn on the headlamps do the illumination lights INSIDE the gauge area light up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. Panel seems totally dead. No lights, no reading. The car turns on.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Ok, what about the backlights on the radio and climate control, do these light up when the headlights are activated?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Ok, last question here- when you turn the key to the on position (not start) do the warning lamps perform the bulb check (battery light, check engine light, etc..)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, all warning/ check lights light up.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Ok, just to recap and be sure I have a clear picture here EVERYTHING on the instrument cluster works EXCEPT the fuel gauge/tachometer/speedometer do not function correct? And the car will start and run....

Did you by chance fiddle with any of the wiring under the glove box that runs to the ECM?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. Did not note any wires. I have replaced the cabin filter a couple of times. I did however remove the aftermarket radio and replaced the factory radio, but that was a week ago.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Radio wiring is a prime suspect time aside.

Do you know how to read a wiring schematic?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Ok at this point you need to check the 10 amp fuse labeled GAUGE not only for fuse condition but also power. If this fuse is good then the combonation meter needs to e removed and the circuits traced with a meter to determine if this is an internal issue on the cluster or the wiring.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did change the fuse earlier before our conversation and the fuse was good and did not work. I will check for continuity. What is a combonation meter? Did you mean combination meter? When you say cluster, do you mean the display itself?
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
yes combination meter- it's the gauge cluster.
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Took it to the Toyota and found it was a bad dimmer switch.