Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

how do i remove the tail light assembly from a 2007 rav4

how do i remove the tail light assembly from a 2007 rav4?

Below are directions:

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is only one nut visible (I'm working on the driver's side), and loosening it does not release the assembly.

There are 3 nuts on the assembly, plus 1 hidden clip. You may want to remove the deck panel trim piece to get to all 3 nuts easier - but you should be able to feel them thru the access opening.

graphic

Once the 3 nuts are off, you have to pull outward on the taillight assembly to get the hidden clip to release.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

please clarify which piece you're suggesting to remove. I've taken away the 'Deck Trim Side Service Hole Cover' that lets me in to the compartment where the lug wrench, etc is on the Driver's side, and the jack on the Passenger's side. looking back through that opening (again, I'm working on the Driver's side) I can see only one nut. loking back with a mirror and flashlight there is still only one nut.

If I could remove the entire 'Deck Trim Side Panel Assembly' then I could get to the rest of the tail light--is that what you're suggesting? This I don't see happening.

There are 3 nuts on the light assembly. Removing the deck trim side panel assembly does make accessing them easier.

Here is another view of the retaining nuts:

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Which panel are you suggesting will make it easier to access?

I only see the one nut. and I don't see how to remove the entire deck trim side panel assembly.

The deck trim side panel assembly- the big piece. The diagram shows locations of retaining bolts that are needed to be removed- remove those and then pull the trim piece off.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't have a metric deep socket to reach the one bolt head.

You will need to pruchase one then. You cant get around not removing it. You can get a cheap set of deep well metric sockets for $10-15 at Walmart or Autozone

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks.