BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

2002 Toyota Camry: check engine light..The trouble code is P0446

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry. The check engine light is on. The trouble code is P0446. It says it's evaporative emission control system vent control. Or faulty CCV vent control solenoid. Are they the same thing? what is it? what caused it? Can I fix it myself?
Greetings,

The CCV solenoid is part of the evap system. This code is saying the evap system has a malfunction. Toyota is having alot of these codes on this system. You will need some specialty equipment, like a smoke machine, to figure this one out. You will have to pay for some diagnosis but then they can warranty it, unless you just want to start throwing parts at it.
Greetings,

1. Verify the Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) for the pressure sensor (located on the canister) operates correctly. This is a normally closed (N.C.) valve. When energized, it should open. When de-energized, an internal spring should close the valve.

2. Verify the canister closed valve (located on the air filter housing) closes, and that it isn't stuck closed during operation. This is a normally open (N.O.) valve. When it is grounded, it closes. It should never be stuck in the closed position.

3. If both solenoids operate and are not sticking, then check the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system lines for a restriction. A restricted line can affect how the EVAP canister vents during an EVAP Leak Test procedure