Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

96 Camry: leaking..power steering fluid..What to do and where to start

My 96 Camry is leaking power steering fluid. What to do and where to start? Is it common? Is it an easy fix?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Is this a 4 cylinder or V6? Where is the general location of the leak?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's a 4cyl. I do not know where the leak is within the power steering system, I just know that it started making sounds when turning/steering, so I looked in reservior, it was low, bought some, filled up, puddle under car, and reservoir empty again.

The most common problem with power steering leaks on this vehicle are with the high pressure and low pressure lines going from the power steering pump to the rack. These lines can be purchased from the dealer has a complete assembly. The power steering pumps themselves don't normally leak. In some cases we have seen where the power steering racks themselves will leak but this is easy to see because the boots will fill up with fluid and the boots will start to leak where the inner tie rod ends are.

RXXXXX XXXXX