Jay Champagne
Jay Champagne, Toyota Master Diag. Tech.
Experience:  Toyota Dealership Shop Foreman, Hybrid Certified, ASE Master Cert. 13 Yrs. Toyota Experience.
16136835

1996 4Runner: Someone activated the alarm while setting the alarm

Customer Question

1996 4Runner with no remote for alarm. Someone activated the alarm while setting the alarm for their car. Did not see who did it. Now I can not start my 4Runner. (Alarm goes off when I unlock the door) I can not find a disarm/valet button or switch. What do I do?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jay Champagne replied 7 years ago.
Do you know if it is a factory system? Are there any indicators or led lights on the dash for the alarm? Is there a seperate horn under the hood for the alarm?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is a red light on the dash. The alarm sounds the horn and blinks the lights so I thought it was a factory alarm.
Does the red light have anything written on or around it? Where on the dash is it mounted? Is it in a small removable panel or the dash itself? Have you ever had a remote?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not recall any writing around the light. We never had a remote.

It is very possible that the alarm is not factory. If you look under the driver side of the dashboard it will be fairly obvious that there is a aftermarket device installed. There will be an alarm brain installed up there with zip ties.

If that is the case, the best thing to do is have it removed. These interfere with many systems and frequently cause problems.