Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2006 toyota rav4: a whirring noise under the hood..loses

Customer Question

My 2006 Toyota Rav 4 makes a whirring noise under the hood and loses charge the next day after it has been turned off. Why?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer are there any warming lights illuminated on the dash? How many miles are on the vehicle? Will the vehicle start the next day or is the battery completely dead?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The car will not start the next day-completely dead. There are 8600 miles on the vehicle. When I just checked now, the check engine and oil lights (at least that's what I think they are) stay on for a time. I replaced the battery less than a year ago and have had the vehivle into a Toyota dealership twice before that and they could find nothing wrong.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
When the whirring noise happens does the battery light come on? Does the noise change with engine speed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No lights come on because the car is off!!! There is no engine speed!
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
Okay. I was assuming the noise you heard was when the engine was running. You hear the noise after you turn the vehicle off, and it obviously runs until the battery dies, correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Correct! It seems to be coming from a silver/aluminum roundish cover-like thing between the front grill area and is connected to a black rectangular thing that I assume is the engine, which has VVT-i with"16 valve" underneath written on it. It's been a few hours and now when I try to start the car there is absolutely no response.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Now that we have this straightened out, do you have the 4 or 6 cylinder engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm pretty sure it is 4.How much does that matter? Please help!
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Your expert is off line.

THis noise you hear does it sound like a fan blowing?

Also take a look at your radio- Does it have a JBL sticker on it (or on the speaker covers on the doors)?