Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

Why did my car start to shudder When I accelerate after slowing

Why did my car start to shudder? When I accelerate after slowing or stopping, my 2003 RAV4 starts to shake.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. Is the check engine light on?

Is this a 2 orXXXXX

Does the entire vehicle shake or do you feel it in a certain part of the vehicle?

Does it only happen when initialy accelerating from a stop or does it happen at higher speeds also?

How many miles are on the truck?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi - no the check engine light isn't on. It's an all wheel drive. Seems like the whole vehicle shakes. It just shakes when initially accelerating from a stop (or slow down) - not at higher speeds. But I've only been driving 30 mph at most since it started this evening. Have about 65,000 miles on the truck.Thanks.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

THank you for the reply and sorry to hear of your car troubles. Sorry I should have asked before is this an automatic transmission I assume?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it is.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Ok it sounds like this is a transmission related concern. The good news here is that this could be a free repair.

Before you do anything I would check the transmission fluid level and condition, if the fluid is low it will cause this, if the fluid is very burnt there is a possibility you have a torque converter shudder that indicates early transmission failure (don't shoot the messenger)

There is a service bulletin ( TSIB# XXXXX) for an updated ECM for shift related concerns, this is a free repair for 8 years/80,000 miles at any dealer.