Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

check engine light blinks 7 times on with key on engine off.

Customer Question

check engine light blinks 7 times on with key on engine off. What does this mean? Do I have a severe problem?
Submitted: 5 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Toyota?
-What model is your Toyota?
-How many miles are on your Toyota?
-What type of engine is in your Toyota?
-Does the check engine light come on with car running?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2007 Tacoma ex cab 2 wheel, 39000 miles, 4 cyl eng,

does not come on while engine on

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
That's interesting.....when did this start happening? Is everything else working normally on the truck? HOw long have you oned the truck? Purchased new?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
owned new just saw it yesterday had to go out and started truck check engine came on and flashed 1 second increments six times
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so the light flashed 6 times and this was when the engine was first started then not just key on correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Ok, this makes it clearer to me then.

The check engine light cam on and flashed because the computer recognized a severe misfire......if the light is not on now then this may have been something simple such as a flooded engine resulting in a quick misfire until the engine cleared out.

If this is the first time this has happened and has not happened again then I would not be worried about it. If a constant problem is recognized the check engine light would set on solid when running. It's easy to flood these engines if you start the truck and shut it off before it warms up, it uses a lot of fuel when cold, then when you start again it already has a lot of fuel in it and keep on dumping it in when started again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

this sounds good but it has been happening without the engine running since yesterday only this was the first time that it happened when the engine was on

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

When you turn the key to "on" it should run a bulb chek and turn the light on solid for 2-3 seconds......once the car is started it should be off unless 1- a code is stored, it goes on solid or 2- a storng misfire is detected then the light flashes until the condition is no longer recognized

If the light flashes with the engine OFF then you have an issue with a short in the instrument cluster or a ECM issue.....honestly never seen that one on ANY toyota product.....unless you have something aftermarket wired to the truck that is causing this or possibly a water leak that has caused corrosion in the junction block. If you don't have an extended warranty on the truck and this is indeed the case with the engine off then be prepared for an expensive and in depth diagnostic........the only part still covered is the computer (ECM) by a 8 year/80,000 mile warranty

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
restarted vehicle and still have the six flashing check engine lights so this is now a hard fault the only recourse is this expensive diagnostic????
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
If this happens EVERY time the engine is started cold then there may be codes stored, the computer will need to be scanned for codes first. THis is usually a 1 hour diagnostic fee. THe light flashing with no engine running I cannot explain, if no codes are stored and light does this then yes it will get pricey.....only thing I can possibly suggest these before tracing wiring is to have the battery tested on a load tester for a bad cell.....weird voltages can do VERY weird things but as I stated I have never seen a toyota do this, I also got a second opinion on this one from one of the countrys top experts and he never saw this before also.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wow I do not know what to think if there are codes stored they may point anywhere also the codes that I just received was while the engine was warm
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
If you DO have codes stored then you can relay them to me and I can advise you. If you do NOT have codes here then the mystery begins. Most large auto parts stores also do free code checks if you have an auto zone near by.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks I am looking for a brighter picture when there may not be one, this vehicle is virtually brand new at 39000. I am miffed dumbfounded and a host of other things an releaze that there is very little recourse for me I am not well versed in gaining the codes although I know that it can be done I have never attempted to do it with any vehicle let alone this 2007 2.7 ltr 4 cly toyota truck and it is to late on a sunday to get it checked at the auto zone for the codes. would a emmision station be able to diagnose the problem if it is related to an emissions problem and what exactly is a misfire in laymans terms

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Codes are stored in the computer, the ONLY way to read the computer or get codes on a 2007 model is with a scan tool, no manual way to do this on a new truck. Any service station or parts store with a scanner can do this IF a code is stored. I am about to log out for the night, it's 11 pm my time. Have a good evening, feel free to reply back if you get codes that are possibly stored here.