Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

1993 toyota celica: goes in and out of overdrive while operating

1993 toyota celica auto trans goes in and out of overdrive while operating
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing

O/D is tempurature sensitive is the coolant temp remaining normal? Are there any engine codes for the transmission?

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
coolant temp very seldom rises above cold when operating (below normal) no codes are showing(have not had code scan ran on car)

if the coolant is below normal this will explain why the O/D is kicking in and out. The thermostat is sticking open. Change the thermostat and refill and circulate the coolant and re drive with a normal operating temp on the gauge and see if O/D works then. It is very Temp sensitive and will not allow O/D below a set temp. The codes can be read by jumping TE1 and E1 in the check connector box by the master cylinder and reading the flashes of the check engine light but if the engine is running to cold this is more then likely the problem.