Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

How do I change my serpentine belt on my 2004 Toyota Camry, 4cyl?

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer.

This is an easy job, here is the diagram:

graphic

Note where to install the tool, there is a 19mm head casted into the tensioner bracket for releasing the tensioner. Also a tip for you when reinstalling the belt it is easiest if you go around the water pump LAST....the belt fit is VERY tight here.

Depending on what tool setup you have you may find it easier to access by removing the upper motor mount that is retained by 3 14mm bolts:

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It sounds good but. If I remove the motor mounts will I have a problem puting them back? What kind of special tools do I need. When you say release the tentioner which direction? I tried this before but it woudn't move. Thanks.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

The motor mount pictured just holds the engine still- not weight supporting, no issues here, just remove the 3 bolts as I stated if you need the extra access room, I fdo not remove this but you may need to.

The tensioner is not weak....it's very strong, you need to pull toward the front of the car to release tension. I use a 19mm socket on a very long ratchet when I do these for extra leverage.