Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

where are the O2 sensors on a 1995 camry v6 and how big a project

where are the O2 sensors on a 1995 camry v6 and how big a project is it for a weekend shadetree mechanic to replace? Any "heads up" info would be appreciated. I am having a problem getting my head around $650 for parts and labor for what on the surface looks pretty straight forward.

Hello and thank you for using just answer.

A couple questions for you first....

Take a look at the emission control label under the hood of your car and read it (square white stacker), there should be some notations on this label indicating weither your car complies with Federal or California emissions....which one do you have?

Question 2- do you have code #'s stored for a specific failure....specific sensor you need to replace or what exactly do you have going on here?

I look forward to your prompt reply so that I may assist you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hang on, I'll check. I don't have the specific codes but I do know they indicated that both front sensors needed to be replaced. I'll be back with the sticker info shortly.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX here to help when you are ready!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My daughter has the car today but I know it was purchased and remains in TX. It's never been in CA.
THank you for the reply but purchase location does not matter, California emission equipped cars are sold throughout the nation, the older ones are hit and miss, most newer cars are all california equipped. Please relay the emission equipment to me and also the code #'s that you have stored...I assume you have a check engine light on here correct? Depending on your code #'s I may be able to figure out if it's CA equipped or not. Thanks!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't have access to the car today. I have a VIN 4T1GK12E1SU858222 if any of that helps.
Thank you for the reply, get me the code #'s when you get a chance and we can go from there, thank you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks, I'll try again next week.

THanks, XXXXX XXXXX reply back here when you are ready, have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the car is FED & CANADA certified with the verbiage that it cannot be sold to a purchaser in CA.
Thank you for the reply. Now what about the code#'s?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Peter,

I am afraid I don't have the code #s.The mechanic that did the diagnostics and gave me the estimate just wrote that both front sensors needed to be replaced. He quoted $460 for the parts and $200 labor. I trust that he has given me the right diagnosis. My question was where are they located and is this too difficult for a non-professional to attempt. I can get the parts from Toyota for $330 (less online) so I am just trying to find out if it is worth trying to save $330 by getting my neighbor to help me replace them myself.

If you are confident in his diagnosis (however almost unheard of that BOTH sensors fail at once) then yes proceed. THis is an easy 10 minute job and well worth the savings. Take a look at www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com to see if the sensors are any cheaper there.

The bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor is VERY easy to get to, its on the exhaust manifold near the radiator and can be removed using an o2 sensor socket, a 7/8" wrench or a 22mm wrench. It's better to do this with the engine HOT to avoid possible issues with the sensor cross threading or seizing in the manifold, a can of wd-40 or PB blaster is also a god idea to hav on hand to help lubricate the threads as you remove the sensor. The bank 1 sensor 1 is a little more challenging to get to, it's in the same location but on the REAR exhuast manifold, you access this one by reaching down from the top behind the intake manifold.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Peter,

Thanks. I was pretty sure I had the bank 2 sensor identified but that just seemed too easy. You confirmed my suspicions about the bank 1 sensor. Is it more easily accessed from underneath? One last thing and I'll let you go. If I can get my hands on the codes is there a code(s) that identifies a specific sensor since you (like me) question two independent electrical/electronic parts going out simultaneously?

Yes get code #'s if you want me to review them. No on the bank 1 sensor, as I stated above this is accessed from the TOP.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okey dokey. I'll try to get the code numbers. BTW thanks for the parts link. I assume they are EOM parts. They had them for $116 each. Thanks again for the answer.