Fixitman
Fixitman, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

Toyota 4Runner: very loud humming/whining sound..30 mph..speeds..tires

My Toyota 4Runner is making a very loud humming/whining sound, most audible between 30 and 30 mph, but audible at all speeds. I thought it was the snow tires I put on, but it seems to change volume when I apply or remove pressure from the gas--the audible change seems more dramatic than the very small drop or gain in speed.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer if the noise changes as to whether you are accelerating or decelerating then you may have a problem with the rear differential. It may also be a bearing issue. You need to get the vehicle up in the air to see where the noise is coming from. It can also be related to the tires if they have an aggressive tread on them. You can rotate them to see if the noise changes. If it does then the problem is in the tires.