Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2001 4Runner: on pannel..vsc TRAC light are on, and the check light

Customer Question

2001 4Runner on pannel the TRAC OFF & VSC TRAC light are on, and the check light. What is wrong and how much would it cost, and is it safe to drive with the car?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Toyota question. The TRAC and VSC lights come on in conjunction with the check engine light. As long as the check engine light is not flashing, you shouldn't.' do too much damage by driving the car until you get it fixed. I will need to know the code number/s to best help you. If you could take it to your local auto parts store, most will check the codes for free. When you have the code number/s let me know and I can give you some guidance.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where do I find the code number?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
You need to go to your local parts store and ask for the codes to be checked. Most of the stores like Autozone will check the codes for free.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Ok, but it doesn't help me now.

The manuel says that there must be a malfunction somewhere in th ani-lock barke system.

Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
Whenever the check engine light comes on, The TRAC and VSC lights come on. As long as the check engine light is not flashing, you can drive it to your local parts store and have the codes checked, I cannot help you without those numbers. Even if there was a code for the ABS or traction control system, check your brake fluid, if it s OK and your brake pedal feels normal, your regular brakes will operate.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there anything else I'm waiting for?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 8 years ago.
Not sure I understand your last question. I can't go any further without the code numbers. You can log back in and reply to this post when you have the numbers and I'll get back with you on it.