Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2008 Toyota Solara: Convertible..leaks..side window..the seat

My 2008 Toyota Solara Convertible leaks where the top meets the side window when the door opens water pouring in the car on the electical switches of the seat, as well a water runs in the car across the top of the window when the window is down. Toyota has replaced the gasget and canvas top. This improved the problem but did not resolve it. This is on both doors. My question is, could my frame be bent? if not, what could cause the problem
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

If the car has never been in an accident it is unlikely that the frame is bent. Unfortunately with any convertible it is difficult to keep large amounts of water from coming over the edge of the canvas and into the car with the window opened or the door opened. If everything is closed there should not be a leak. The weather strips on the quarter glass and the adjustments of the door glass are the key to keeping the car dry when the windows are up.

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The leakage into the car is adnormal, even according to toyota engineers. this is my 3rd convertible so i am aware of certain amount of water coming in. Technicans are taken back by the amount of water pouring in. Where the top meets the front window, when the door is open, the gasket drain will not drain the water down so it pours into the car

With the door open and the front door glass rolled all the way up does the glass run flush with the rubber molding on the mirror or is there a step up or down when you get to the mirror? If the edge of the glass is not flush the glass is not adjusted properly. With all the windows up is there still leakage? There have been some issues with the alignment pins on the top where it latches. If there are dimples next to the holes for the alignment pins then the top is not latching straight. I am sure this would have been checked already but might be worth looking into.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic