George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years

I need a wiring diagram for an 89 toyota pickup. My

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Can you please tell me what system you need the wiring diagram for?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The thing sent before I was finished with it. I have an 89 toyota pickup,XXXXX 4 cyl. troubleshoot the clock and it's nowhere on my Hanes manual schematic. The back of the clock says ILL,ACC,E,B. Does that mean ground, +12, switched + 12 etc? I can rewire it if I can figure out what the input voltages are supposed to be. Is there a good schematic out there that shows everything, including the clock connector?
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

OK, this will be an educated guess but you are correct with what the diagram shows

Green/red from cig fuse = B

White/black from ground = E

Green or Grey from tail fuse = ILL

Blue/yellow from dome fuse = ACC

take a look at this diagram and see what you think

graphic

If you have questions please ask

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's a good schematic but the wiring codes don't make sense.
I have ( two wires, both green with white or yellow band), (White black stripe),(Blue with yellow or white stripe) and (white with red stripe). I wonder are the wires on the schematic positionally correct? In terms of the display WY is botom left, wb is bottom right, G ti top left etc? Then I might be able to do something with it. If I just know which is ground then the rest of the pinout is apparent.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

I would not go with where they are positioned on the diagram that is done for maximum clarity, to eliminate crossed wires etc.

At this point I would measure what I have on the existing wiring. ie:

is the white/black ground?

Does the blue/yellow power from the dome light?

Which one of the green/? stripe wires is switched ignition?

Which is hot at all times?

With a test light and five minutes you can identify what you have so you can refrence to the wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, that's something anyhow. Do you have the whole schematic? I'd really like to get that, even it the codes are sometimes wrong. I think yours is more detailed than the one in Haynes. I'll bid $ 20 for it. You can mail it if you like, or send it as pdf attachment to email.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

I have to post here due to site rules so check what I can deliver here

Look at it first as it is not much for this sheet, The whole truck runs 40 or more sheets so it would have to be done system by system as needed. These are the two other panels on either side of the one I already posted

graphic

graphic

graphic

This is what Toyota published so anything else would have been derived from these drawings.

The bottom diagram is for refrence, the top three diagrams of the last I posted are power and ground which can be derived from the larger three I posted earilier. If you need something specific I will post that or you can try posting a new question for a complete wiring diagram for an 89 Toyota PU 22RE and see if anyone has a better way of getting it to you

Let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sure, while I am here I'd like to get the complete diagram to add to my file. Can you mail me a photocopy?
address is:
(removed for privacy)

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
Once again I cannot communicate outside this site. I have to post all info and replies here. If you want to see if there is someone who will furnish the entire manual of electrical diagrams you can open a new question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure this is for the 89 pickup truck and not the tacoma a sedan? Aside from the color codes being wrong, these schematics have many things that just aren't on that truck. I also of course have things that aren't working, like the dome light. Was the cigarette lighter "always on"? is the ground shown body ground? Then I can cut off that pigtail and rewire it to my stereo hookup, which has all of those things. OK, one will be short to body ground, but a powered line will look like that too, since most of them go to ground through light bulbs, which show almost no resistance. Are there any other schematics of the truck? 40 pages? Sure that's what I want. Is there an ISBN number? Pretty soon Toyota will be saying that the nevere even heard of this model and dump all data on it. If it's the right one for this model, then how much do you want for it? A photocopy sent by mail would be fine. If it lines up on this detail (this really does not) then I'll think that the rest is good too. At any rate, it's better than I can find in my books.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

You have gotten files in the past that you didn't think matched this truck. Are you sure of the Identification? If you provide the VIN you can be sure that the information provided is for that vehicle.

I am going to OPT OUT of this question. I have tried to provide what you asked for but I cannot provide the entire wiring diagram. I suggest that you post a new question asking for the "complete wiring diagram for Toyota truck VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" to see if anyone will provide it. Another suggestion is to subscribe to AllData for a DIY subscription for your truck you will find it cheaper in the long run.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well that's just not the right schematic. It did say yhat white blue was ground, that's about all it has in common with mine. With just that I was able to rewire the thing, so I'll give you the basic charge.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
Perhaps you can get a more satisfactory answer with another expert if you repost the question