Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Expert,ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ yrs in the field. Self employed for 9 years. AUTOLAB radio show

car has been outisde for a couple of hours in the cold

Customer Question

What would cause my windows to ice up on the INSIDE after the car has been outisde for a couple of hours in the cold?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer the reason for the window to ice up on the inside is that the humidity level is very high in your car. There must be a water leak and you have the presence of wetness in the car. Your carpets might not feel wet, but the insulation under the carpet may be saturated. You may have water in the trunk, spare tire well, or side wells in the trunk. I've had this happen. Inspect and see if it is present. Then all depending where the wetness is, we can figure out where it's coming from.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried drying floor mats before didn't hekp. I can see no water anywhere
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Look under the carpet. It can be soaked under the carpet and you would never know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will use blow dryer on the carpet in the morning. Will log back on and accept if it works. (it is dark and freezing out right now.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
That won't help, you have to lift the carpet up and if it is soaked under the carpet, you will have to either remove that wet insulation or draw the moisture out with towels. A blow dryer will not help on it's own.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: Toyota Expert,ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ yrs in the field. Self employed for 9 years. AUTOLAB radio show
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The blow dryer did help!!! I used an outdoor extension cord and left the dryer in the car for 1 hr. Totaly dry.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Great, just keep an eye on that and if you get the opportunity check under the carpet and make sure you are dry under there as well. Let me know if you have any questions. I really suspect moisture under your carpet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No itdidn't work after drying the carpet and pad bone dry,the windows iced up after it was in the cold a couple of hours. HELP1
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
First start in the trunk, Lift up the mat and look in the well for the spare tire. See if there is water or ice present. Let me know and we'll go further. I am positive that there is wetness in your car.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The well for the tire is dry. The heater is not sending air thru the floor vent, Could this affect. Also what made the floor and mat so wet in the first place.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
The air ducting is not the cause. Which floor mat was soaked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the drivers side floor mat and carpet. Could a leakey windshield do it(all the windows ice up)?
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
It could be windshield, it could also be plugged sunroof drain tubes. The insulation under that drivers side carpet is going to be saturated and that is where the humidity is coming from. You are going to need assistance with this part. You need to remove the trim and lower kick panel on the driver side. That will let you lift the carpet and inspect the insulation. If it's soaked, you will have to lift it and try to absorb the water. Then that is what needs to be dryed. As for the source of leak. This is how I check for a water leak. First confirm where the leak is coming from. Have someone with a flash light on the floor under the dash. Take a water hose without a nozzle and place it on the roof so the water just washes over the sunroof and windshield. This will simulate rain. It should be visible as to the area where water is entering the vehicle. For the sunroof drains, they are usually located in the corners of the open sunroof. They like to fill with debris. debris usually moves down the drain tubes and is unreachable. We use compressed air to blow them out, but too much pressure could dislodge the tubes, so care must be taken. Step one is to confirm the moisture, step two is to find evidence of where the water is entering the car. Step three is the corrective action to stop the leak. Let's start with steps one and two and see where it leads too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I park my car in the garage.which has no door and the windows are mussing.my windows do not frost over. When it is parked outside it does. ??
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
In the garage, you don't have as cold temperature inside the interior to cause condensation to form and freeze.