Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

Remove ignition lock cylinder when key wont turn at all 1997 rav4

Customer Question

how do I remove ignition lock cylinder when key won't turn at all 1997 rav4
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. The release position for the ignition cylinder is in the "acc" position. If you can't get the cylinder to turn then you have a few options....none of them easy:

-drill out cylinder and force it to turn

-replace cylinder AND housing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need more info on how to drill out the cylinder. I started trying to force it to acc and broke a bunch of pieces out. How much can I remove with out damaging anything. I have a lock cylinder on order from Toyota and it should be here in a few days. I would like to be able to just drop it in when it arrives. Or remove existing cylinder and start with a screw driver or something for time being. There is a small piece of diecast cylinder cracked on the bottom now also. If you give me enough info to get me thru this I will add another $10-15 to the account for you
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
can you possibly upload a picture of the face of the cylinder now so I can properly assess what you have done?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
that didn't work, i need a picture here to see what you cracked
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
lock
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
sorry that picture is not clear, I'm off to bed, I am ging to opt out of this question so another expert can help you if they want, thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did get the old cylinder drilled out and the new one installed. Everything works fine. Issue I do have is, if I shut it off anf turn ythe steering wheel to lock it, I then have trouble turning the key, have to wiggle the steering wheel a lttle bit to turn the key, if I don't move the wheel to lock it when I shut it off, it works fine. Do you know what my issue may be or how can I remove or shut off the steering wheel lock, don't want to get stranded anyplace. The money is still ouyt there for an answer to this.