Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

95 tercel: it keeps geeting egr fault lack of flow I..cheked

Customer Question

i have a 95 tercel it keeps geeting egr fault lack of flow I have cleaned all the ports and cheked the modultor and the vsv all ok. it seems the the vsv always has power going to it thus causing the vacume to always bleed off to the air box if I disconect the leed to it and rev the engine the egr opens fine HELP
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

If you apply vacuum to the EGR valve does it stall the engine?

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

should the vsv have power going to it all the time ? as I said if I pull the leed to it killing the power to it the egr seem to function ok

The VSV B-R wire is hot all the time. this should go through the VSV and have 12 volts out the B-W ire and on to the computer. The computer makes the ground and this energizes the VSV to operate.Is the Computer making the ground? If you monitor the B-W wire with a volt meter it should drop to near 0 volts when the computer turns the ground on for the VSV.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Did you get a P0401 code?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Randy, I checked with a volt meter and I have 12 volts from + form the Bat. to the b/w on the vsv even when the the car is just seting there at idle cold, and I i have 12 volts from neg on the Bat. to the b/r on the the vsv leed as i should
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I got a p0401 code all the time I have to keep re-seting it

For get the + from the battery you should never need to hook anything to it to check for voltages. Put you ground from the volt meter to the battery or engine ground. Put the positive lead to the 2 wires at the VSV connector. With the connector unplugged the B-R wire should have 12 volts. The B-W wire should have 0 volts. Use the positive lead on the connector and do not remove the ground lead from the negative terminal or the engine ground. Do you have these voltages? The ignition switch needs to be on! The engine does not have to be running.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok from the Bat - to the b/r on vsv leed un-pluged i have 12vdc to the b/w I have )vdc with the ing. on as soon as i pluged it back into the vsv I hear the vsv click
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok from the Bat - to the b/r on vsv leed un-pluged i have 12vdc to the b/w I have 0vdc the ing.is on as soon as I plugit back in I hear vsv click on

This means the valve and the computer are working. It is backwards from what I mentioned above the computer turns off the ground. This is a backwards so to speak system. The valve is energized to keep the EGR valve off. The VSV turns off and this allows vacuum to be applied to the top of the EGR valve by way of the modulator. Click the link below and download the diagrams. Check the vacuum lines and system. something is not hooked up properly or the port in the throttle body is plugged. Make sure the VSV is turning off when EGR is required. If the wire to the computer is grounded for some reason it will not allow it to turn off either.

RXXXXX XXXXX

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d8b582d3d53213ea91b20cc0d07ba4d23e3bc469f7bb7921

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the files out of the factory book, oak I checked out the ecm and the b/w ground wire it is oak not ground out and the only time the ecm goes to ground is when you turn the Ing. On so it does not seem to be the problem. I did notice one thing my tercel has a vacuum line coming off the map sensor with a T and going to the one side of the vsv it also has a filter or a check valve im not sure in line with it this is not shown on the factory print, witch side of the vsv does it go to the air box side or the egr side? Also what way does the check valve device go it is red on one end and clear on the other?

Thanks, Tim

The kit installed was for the moisture freezing in the hose to the map sensor causing a no start condition. If you are not driving in the frozen tundra up north and pieces are missing just route a vacuum hose to the sensor directly from the manifold. If you want the info on the recall click the link below and download the file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d8b582d3d53213ea91b20cc0d07ba4d26c4a4d67b3546a44

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Randy for all you help I will keep working on thi s problem

Good luck.

RXXXXX XXXXX