Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry, and I change my oil regularly.

I have a 1996 Toyota Camry, and I change my oil regularly. The car has 210,000 miles on it. I've notice with the past several changes that when I remove the filter, the oil doesn't seem to be draining back into the engine properly, and lots of oil pours all over the place when I remove the filter. This never used to happen. How can I clean the line that goes from the filter back into the engine? It seems like a small and winding passage-way.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer. This may be a perfectly normal thing depending on what brand filter you use. A high end premium oil filter such as the ones purchased from the dealer have a anti-drain back valve that hold the oil in the filter so you don't have a "dry" start that starves the engine for oil for a few seconds. Cheap oil filters such as auto parts store brand filters or Fram filters don't usually have this so if you let the car sit for a while before removing the filter then the oil has all drained back to the block. If you are convinced that there is an obstruction here you would also have other issues such as oil consumption, oil light on/etc....that would require some major tear down to properly clean out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your answer.

My car has been consuming a small amount of oil between oil changes for a long time, and I can't say that it's increased since this newly found, potential problem.

I'm curious, as an alternative, is it possible to try something along the lines of Marvel Mystery oil?

Sorry for the delay.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. On a car of this age and mileage a small amount of oil consumption is to be expected. This can be from oil leaks from ANY seal, from worn valve guide seals or from piston rings. I honestly don't think you have a "new" problem from what you described but remove the valve cover and insect the inside of the engine for deposits to be certain that the motor does not have deposits that can contribute to this. As I stated before if you had oil passage restriction then you would also have oil pressure issues which would cause oil light illumination as well as engine damage, these motors are great and hold up very well to high mileage but even a slight drop in oil pressure at any speed always causes damage to the engine, usually to #1 cylinder causing a very loud knock/tap and eventually throwing the rod through the block.

Marvel mystery oil is a good additive however I would not go dumping any cleaners/additives or synthetic oils into a motor with this much age/usage on it, you can do MORE harm by knocking deposits loose and create a major problem that ultimately I fear would require engine replacement.

Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help.