Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

how to remove and replace heater core on 94 toyota corolla

how to remove and replace heater core on 94 toyota corolla 1.8
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, the instrument panel and steering wheel has to come out in order to access and remove the heater core:

Steering wheel:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 9

Do not attempt to remove or install the steering wheel by hammering on it. Damage to the energy-absorbing steering column could result.

CAUTION On models with an airbag, wait at least 90 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: From behind the steering wheel, remove the horn pad retaining screws

1. Loosen the trim pad retaining screws from the back side of the steering wheel. Some models use torx head screws.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Use a Torx® bit to loosen the screws until the groove along the screws circumference is on the screw case Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: With two hands pull the horn pad off the front of the steering wheel

1. Lift the trim pad and horn button assembly straight off the wheel. Be careful not to pull on the SRS wire if equipped.

If equipped with SRS, place the air bag pad with the upper surface facing up. Refer to the illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: On air bag models, always place the horn pad in this position when storing it Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Disconnect the horn wiring from the back of the pad

1. Matchmark the nut and steering shaft mating points. This will allow the steering wheel to be placed exactly in the same position as removed.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Matchmark the nut and steering shaft with paint or a marker

1. Remove the steering wheel hub retaining nut and washer. Some models are not equipped with the washer.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Remove the nut retaining the steering wheel to the shaft

1. Screw the two bolts of a steering wheel puller into the wheel. Turn the bolt at the center of the puller to force the wheel off the steering shaft. Do not pound on the wheel to remove it, or the collapsible steering shaft may be damaged.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Use a steering wheel puller to separate the steering wheel from the shaft Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Pull the steering wheel off the shaft once loosened by the puller

1. Install the wheel and push it onto the shaft splines by hand far enough to start the retaining nut.
  2. Install the retaining nut and tighten to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
  3. Connect the horn and SRS wires then reinstall the horn pad. If it is the snap-on type, make sure all the clips are engaged.
  4. Connect the negative cable to the battery.

IP:

CAUTION On models with an airbag, wait at least 90 seconds from the time that the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the battery is disconnected before performing any further work. Refer to for all air bag warnings.

Remove the following components:

• Front door lower garnishes
    • Front door scuff plates
    • Front pillar garnishes
  1. Remove the steering wheel. .

CAUTION The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) must be disarmed before removing the steering wheel. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in injury. In addition, the fasteners, screws and bolts originally used for the air bag components have a special coating on them specifically designed for use in this system. They must never be replaced with any substitutes. Anytime new fasteners are needed, replace them with the correct fasteners.

Remove the following components:

• Steering column cover
    • Shifting hole bezel
    • Rear console box
    • Hood lock release lever
    • Lower finish panel
    • Combination switch
    • Lower panel
  1. Remove the glove box compartment door. Detach the connector cover from the compartment door.
    1. Remove the wiring from the connector cover.
    2. Detch the wiring from the harness.
    3. Remove the screws and bolts from the compartment.
    4. Remove the glove box door.When handling the airbag connector, take care not to damage the air bag wire harness.
  2. Remove the center cluster finish lower panel. Disconnect the wiring from the panel cluster. Remove the stereo opening cover.
  3. Remove the heater knobs, then remove the center cluster finish panel. Unbolt and detach the radio. Remove the heater control.
  4. Remove the cluster finish panel and combination meter.
  5. Remove the following components:
    • Finish lower center panel
    • Cluster finish panel sub assembly
    • Duct heater to register No. 2
    • Side defroster nozzle No. 2
  6. Remove the passenger air bag assembly. Disconnect the wiring harness to the assembly. Remove the 4 bolts and 2 clips. Pull the air bag assembly from the dash.

CAUTION When carrying a live air bag, make sure the bag and trim cover are pointed away from the body. In an unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. When placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the motion of the module if it is accidentally deployed. Never disassemble the front passenger air bag assembly.

1. To remove the instrument panel, detach the wiring from the components. Remove the 5 bolts retaining the panel. Unbolt the junction block No. 1 and No. 4.
  2. Remove the screw, 8 bolts and instrument panel.
  3. Remove the instrument panel reinforcement.
  4. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

graphic

graphic

Heater Core:

graphic

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for info, but its more work than I thought. I`ll go to a repair person.

Thank you again

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

have a good week...