Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

I lost my key for 1998 toyota avalon. what are my options?

i lost my key for 1998 toyota avalon. what are my options?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. Sorry to hear of your troubles. This could be simple or this could be VERY bad depending on a few things.

First you need to determine if the car has factory immobilizer or not, this can be determined by calling the dealer with the vin#. If your car DOES have the factory immobilizer system and you have NO keys for the car then this is going to get VERY expensive, you would need to replace the ECM and also pay for new keys.

If your car does NOT have immobilizer then this is no big deal, you can call your dealers parts department with your vin# XXXXX they can cut you keys for about $10 each off the vin#.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately the key does have a "chip" which I assume is an imobilezer. If that is the case, what do I need to do? have it towed to the Toyota dealer for resolution?

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
Yes "chip" keys are for cars with immobilizer, if you loose all master keys then there is NO way to program new keys. You have to replace the ECM (engine control module) and pay for new keys also, don't be supprised to see a bill in excess of $1,000 unless toyota will goodwill a computer replacement. Sorry for the bad news. Yes it needs to be towed to a dealer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can I tell them to disable the ECm and just get a key for the car?

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.

NO. I don't think you undertand or I was not clear enough.

There is no way around this. The ECM is the ENGINE CONTROL MODULE, this is the computer that makes EVERYTHING work. Yes you can remove or disable the ECM but that will turn your car into a 3,000 pound paper weight. The immobilizer is built into the ECM, you have NO choice here with no keys. You must replace the ECM and program keys to the new ECm. Toyota had a policy years ago that they would pay for 1 computer if a customer lost all keys but I don't know if that still applies or not. You hmust have this towed to a dealer to be addressed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'll have it towed and deal with the dealer.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX have any other questions regarding this system or does this clarify it for you and acceptable?