importguy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years in asain imports

1989 toyota pickup: 4x4 with a 22re engine..surge..rpm..anti-freeze

My husband just bought a 1989 toyota pickup 4x4 with a 22RE engine. There is a constant surge of rpm's at idle. There is also an exchange of fluid between the oil and anti-freeze. I obviously suspected a blown head gasket so I took a compression test and it came back at 145,150,155 and 135, so I'm not so sure that it is a head gasket now. The engine seems to run fine but does seem like there is a vacuum leak somewhere. It won't reach high rpm's. I put a vacuum guage on it but it ready only 14, but being fuel injected I don't know it I had a proper vacuum line (it was one that went to the distributer). Any ideas?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  importguy replied 7 years ago.
a common issue on the 22re engine is that the timing chain guides would break and then wear a hole into the timing cover allowing oil and coolant to mix. it sounds as if this is what you are experiencing if the timing has jumped do the guide being broken it will cause your issues with idle as well