Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.
9358908

98 Camry: vents..air flow..defrost (except that it turns the AC on)

Customer Question

We have a 98 Camry LE. Air flows out of the front vents no matter what is selected for the air flow. no other mode works including defrost (except that it turns the AC on)
What is the likely problem? Switch, damper motors?

Thank you.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. What engine size do you have 2.2 four cylinder, or the 3.0 V6? It does not matter in the car but under the hood it does matter for blend door operations. With the key on and the engine off turn on the fan which vents does the air blow out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi there!

i have a 4 cyl., with th key on and the ignition off, the vents blow out the front only.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. When changing mode positions can you hear the blend door motor run at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, the only sound is he click of the knob between modes
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. Do you have a volt meter and some knowledge of diagrams and electrical circuits?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i do have a voltmeter and understand circuits. presently it is too dark to see what is going on inside the car. can i resume this tomorrow when it is daylight? also as of today the dome light has stopped working, though i have had a problem with the ac switch for 4+ months, and the dome light is brand new. could these be related though?

Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. No problem at all. I will get some information together for you this evening and try and get it posted to you this evening or first thing in the morning. If you do not see any thing from me by 10 am tomarrow remind me, this site has no reminder feature and I forget, so if you have to remind me do not worry, I have a family history of forgetfulness.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
alright, back to daylight.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.

Hi there. Remove the control head, check the seven wire connector for power at all of the terminals with it plugged in , key on try all modes and see if the is any power. Also check the 10 amp fuse marked heater and make sure it has power on both sides, do this first and let me know.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
remove the face plate? or the whole unit fron the dash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i checked the wire ports , but there are 8 in my plug, (5 on the bottom, and 3 on top) the bottom right wire has no current.plug photo
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that particular wire in the harness (bottom right) is blue with a white stripe
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there.Also check the 10 amp fuse marked heater and make sure it has power on both sides, do this first and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the fuse is good and there is power running through it
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.

Hi there. I have 2 other diagrams to send to you. The first one is the one in the middle. I hope you can print these from this site. My printer died and warranty will not be here until the 2nd of January.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello, i'm not quite sure what i'm looking at with the last diagram, i cannot enlarge the image to read the fine print.

-ted
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. In the top right of the diagram is the fuse you checked, follow the wire that goes down to the right and to the bottom and it connects to the first page I sent. It is alot easier to click the full image and then print the image, print both images, the first I sent is the middle the second image I sent is the first of three. I have no printer at this time, warranty claim, no printer until Jan.2,2009.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i see that it ends at the "control circuit" which is in the servomotor for the air mode control. am i to assume that i probably have a bad servo that needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. Is there battery voltage at that wire at the control unit? Like I said I have no printer and only one monitor and my memory sucks. So I have to try and memorize these diagrams, it is very difficult, usually I am much faster with the diagram on paper in front of me as we speek.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i tested the wires in the wiring harness, only one was not receiving power. it was the lower right hole in the harness, and it was blue with a white stripe. When i look at the diagram i only see 7 possible wires to test for voltage, but on my actual wiring harness in the car there are eight (see previous picture posted, not that this much matters). It appears that according to the diagram the wire not getting power (blue with white stripe) is the same one connected to the "face" mode of the switch. The only vent that works is the face vent. are the correlated?

would it be easier to talk on the phone? i can call you or you can call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.

Hi there. Will not allow conversation out side of this site, I will show you what it looks like, and also I will keep digging at this problem at hand.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, no problem but do you think it is the
servo motor?
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. Looking at the harness connector and where it plugs in are there numbers, the 8 pin connector should have numbers either on the component or the harness connector, numbers 1-8 to identify each terminal. The #6 terminal looks like lite blue this is where battery voltage should be, some times the numbers are inside the connector of the component they are very small I use a magnifying glass
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there are no numbers on the harness or the harness receiver
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.

Hi there. It has to be the control head it self. I just learned how to view 3 pictures at the same time, the control head with the three knobs you have power at the fuse and no mode change the control head is the deciding factor for mode change unless three other motors failed at the same time which is impossible.

Advance Auto Parts has a hook up with a company called Right Choice, give Advance a call and inquire about Right Choice for the best price.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i understand that you think the control head itself must be bad, but i am confused. If the wire in the lower right side of the harness (blue w/ white stripe) is getting no power and all i need to do is to replace the control head, then it seems like whatever that wire powers, will still not be receiving power, and the new control head will still not work properly. Is this assumption with logic? thanks for your time
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. I will print this out tomorrow at work, I hate using the printer at work because it is my partners computer and the last time I used it the printer went south so I said I will never use your computer again, Ehh sometimes you have to break your word, I will get what I need for you assistance tomorrow and draw an end to this journey.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok great, thanks
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. Sorry for the time it takes to do electrical on line it is like getting a camel through the Needles Eye in Israel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
greetings!, i'm back from vacation, where did we leave off?