AutoTech08
AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.
12605055

Engine cuts off when shifting gear from park into reverse.

Customer Question

Engine cuts off when shifting gear from park into reverse. Car always starts again. Mechanic cam
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Toyota?
-What model is your Toyota?
-How many miles are on your Toyota?
-What type of engine is in your Toyota?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1991 Toyota Previa LE, 2.4 liters, about 300,000 miles.
Already replaced the throttle position sensor a few months ago.
Mechanic can't find anything, has tried to test everything electrical. Asked a transmission expert about the neutral safety switch, and that person said he didn't think that was it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A few additional comments. ... this van is used for light delivery every day.   Van usually left running while package is delivered. Then from Park, engine is either put into either Reverse or Drive.   Engine cuts off only when put into Reverse.    
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

I have ever encountered this problem and apart from this, I can't think of any other possibilites.

The engine uses an air flow meter and any vacumn leakages would cause the engine to shut off. I would suggest checking the air hose for leakages, hidden cracks that would only appear when the engine is shifted into reverse.

When in forward gears, the engine would tilt to one side, there are no leakages but when shifted into reverse, the engine tilts the opposite way, ( old engine mounts tends to allow the tilting to be quite substantial) causing the air hoses etc to open up any cracks and allowing excessive air to leak between the air flow meter and throttle body causing the stalling.

Hope this helps.

AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience: Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you and it certainly seems like a good answer.    However, the mechanic told me he did check the air hose, and found nothing. But he says he will do so again carefully.   I suppose we will just have to live with the problem until whatever happens next.

Thank you for the accept. I too hope that solves the problem.

If the brake seems funny, than the booster hoses are another item that you should look out for.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just had to let you know -- because of your response to me, our mechanic went back and re-checked the hoses, and this time found a crack under the clamp!    I suspect this time he checked the hose under the Reverse tilt (while in reverse shift) this time, and sure enough, there it was.    He said it was unbelievably hard to see.    So, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sure do appreciate your accurate diagnosis and explanation for this very weird problem.
Merry Christmas to you too!

Thank you for the feedback and glad the problem is solved.

Yes, somtimes small crack are hard to see and with the hoses hardening over time makes it difficult to bend them to check.

Glad to be of service.

Thank you. have a nice holiday. :)