Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

2000 Toyota Camry: P0440..Its not the gas cap being loose

I got a code P0440 on mu 2000 Toyota Camry. It's not the gas cap being loose. I checked that, and the light's still on after about a month. What does this mean? How can it be fixed? How much should it cost?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer. Is p0440 and 0442 the only code # XXXXX or is there another code as well? Have you had the fuel cap tested or did you just rechek for it being tight? Fuel caps can develop issues with age, if this is still the original cap it would be a good idea to soend $20 at the dealer and get the cap replaced. There were some problems with the north america produced camrys having evap codes due to a defective closed canister vaccum switching valve. To properly diagnose and test this system it needs to be connected to a scan tool to test the components, also onnected to an evap smoke machine to verify if there is a leak or if there is a malfunction.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The only codes were the 0440, and 0442. But 0442 showed up 2 times, one as a "pending code". The gas cap is not the original (I lost that!) but is about 5 years old. Aproximately how much should a test for the canister vaccum swiching valve and the evap smoke machine? ( I'm so tired of being ripped off by machanics!!)
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 7 years ago.
I can understand your frustration and fear of cost, these systems really are an open dor of possibilities especially if you live in the snow belt where the car is exposed to corrosion from road salt. An EVAP system test standard inspection charge is 1 labor hour, depending on your area of the country this is $80-110. The codes you have indicate a leak in the system somewhere, this can be because a valve or the canister malfunctions, this can be a simple gas cap seal issue, this can be a lose/broken rubber or metal line/etc......basically the EVAP system that the codes you have pertain to trap and capture gas fumes from the fuel system and store them until they can be released to the engine to burn off, your leak could be anywhere between the fuel tank to the engine. Usually with these codes the leak is very obvious once a smoke machine is connected and the repair on a camry is 99% of the time a very simple and inexpensive repair. I hope this better explains and sets your mind at ease. If you have more questions on this or need a better explanation please feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks you...this really does give me some peace of mind!