Rich Storm
Rich Storm, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Master ase technician 4 years shop owner 15 years tech

can i install a 32 inch flat screen on my car

Customer Question

can i install a 32 inch flat screen on my car?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Rich Storm replied 5 years ago.
anything is possible
Do you want instructions to do it yourself or do you plan on having someone else do the labor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I plan to do it myself. But I gotta say that I am a girl with two left thumps! I am absolutely stupid when it comes to cars so please take it one step at a time with me :o). I intend to go camping and I wanna surprise my husband with a 32 inch screen being plugged to his beloved car. Thought of letting you know of the whole situation! lol . In any case, will I need to borrow a portable generator? Thanks
HiCustomer
The easiest way to have a 32 inch TV to use when camping is to hook it up to a portable generator. A portable generator produces 110 volts AC so any regular 32 inch home TV will plug right into it.
You will want a long extension cord so you can have distance between the generator and TV for noise purposes.
Another way to get the 32 inch lcd to work is to buy a AC/DC inverter. The inverter hooks up to the cars battery then the TV plugs right into the inverter. Be sure to buy an inverter that will connect easily to the cars battery and not the cigarette lighter. The TV will pull too many amps and blow the cigarette lighter fuse. You can buy an inverter at Wal-Mart. A(NNN) NNN-NNNNwatt style should be sufficient. They cost about $100. If you use an Inverter be sure to start the vehicle up about every 15 minutes and let it run for about 5 minutes. To recharge the cars battery. Ortherwise you will end up with a dead battery.
Permanently installing a TV in the vehicle is somewhat complicated and might be better left to a car stereo shop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I turn the monitor on while driving the car? And If I used a generator inverter like the portable Yamaha 2400 watt generator, would it be too loud or would the generator sound be acceptable? I want to work the TV none-stop while driving the car? Appreciate your help
Hi kwawla2
If you plan on using the TV while driving you definitely cannot use the portable generator. You will have to use the inverter. As long as you have the car running you can have the TV on the entire time. You can have an inverter direct wired to the battery and installed somewhere inside the car. This would give you a 110 volt source to use with any electronics designed to plug into a normal wall outlet. Your best bet is to buy a high wattage inverter that is made to be permanently installed to the vehicle. Wal Mart sells a "Whistler" brand 1200 watt inverter for $112. Either follow the directions in the box or take it to a car stereo shop for installation. The car stereo shop should charge about $75 for installation. Once you have a 110 volt source from the inverter you can plug the TV right into it. You are still going to run into a bit of a problem with mounting such a big TV. If this is temporary you may just find a spot to set the TV in to watch it. If permanent you will need a custom bracket made at a car stereo shop. Good luck ! (I am assuming you want to use a regular LCD TV made for the home--let me know if I am wrong and you have a TV specifically made for an automobile)          
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOL ! No it's a regular TV, not customized or anything :o) . I am very thankful for your wonderful answer. You have been extremely helpful. But One final thought? What if the car was not running on fuel but instead on chargeable battery? My husband is into car stuff and he did some changes on a car thus using electricity to run rather than fuel since fuel is extremely expensive where we are. So can I do this on a battery based car? I want to impress him and show him that I too can do this kinda thing! ;o) .. By now you are probably thinking ... what a funny lady is this?! .. women, eh? Weird stuff goes on in our heads! lol ... Thank you once again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more thought... why wouldn't a generator work? Thanks a million.
HiCustomer
Well you could use a generator if you mounted it outside of the vehicle. This is how they use generators on RV's and motorhomes. You could somehow mount it on the roof or trunk outside of the vehicle. It would look a funny though. You couldn't mount it inside the vehicle because the exhaust from the generator could cause death. I think your electric car would still have a recharging system for the batteries. As long as you are driving the batteries should be recharging. This would still be ok to use the inverter. If there is no recharging system on the vehicle the inverter would drain the batteries in the car faster than normal, but I think you would have some kind of system to recharge the batteries while driving.
Another thing with a electric vehicle is what type of voltage the batteries produce. A normal car uses a 12 volt system. All inverters are designed to be used with 12 volt systems. Make sure thats what you have. If its not a 12 volt system the inverter wont work and we would have to go back to mounting a generator outside of the vehicle.
Rich Storm, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 years Master ase technician 4 years shop owner 15 years tech
Need any more help?? Please click accept
<p>Thank you very much !!!!</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there ... I wanted to thank you for your wonderful help! It took me forever to ACCEPT but that was because my neighborhood internet cable was and still is down! You have been lovely and extremely helpful. I recommended you and this website to everyone I know. Thank you and please accept my apologies.