Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

2001 4Runner: I have a oil leak that doesnt seem to be

Customer Question

Recently bought a used 2001 4Runner. I have a oil leak that doesn't seem to be consistant in amount. Sometimes alot sometimes very little. The leak is clean clear fresh oil and is not in anyway black in color. To me it seems its the oil drain plug cause it looks like a new bolt, but might be missing or have a cracked gasket. I looked at the gaskets at the top of the lower oil pan and don't see any leak. I also looked around the engine block and see nothing at all. I haven't check the oil filter yet. I am taking it into a shop so I can work on it. But when i touch the oil drain plug the same clear fresh oil comes off onto my fingers. So am i headed in the right direction.....
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing

Yes you are headed in the right direction is always best to be safe. If the drain plug was just replaced there is a possibility the threads in the oil pan may be stripped. When you have it looked at on Monday have them check the threads in the pan. The oil is probably pretty clear if the oil change was just done. Make sure the oil level and the engine is full you do not want to run out of oil.

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.