Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1997 Toyota Tacoma: My check engine light just came..cheap

Customer Question

My check engine light just came on in my 1997 Toyota Tacoma. I think it is the cheap gas I have switched to and of course some sensor. Can I reset it myself without mechanic spenditures??
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 7 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

If you do not care to find out what the code number is XXXXX set the light then all you need to do is remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes and this will clear the memory out of the computer. If the light comes back on immediately or within one or two key cycles then there is what is called a hard failure code. This means there is a malfunction still existing in the system. If you can get to an auto zone or other parts store they do free code reads and I can assist you further at that point with a particular code number.

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.