Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1997 4Runner, issuing P0130 and P0133 DTC bank 1. Posisble

Customer Question

1997 4Runner, issuing P0130 and P0133 DTC bank 1.   Posisble causes an dsolutions.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

90% of the time when you see these two codes in combination with each other you are going to find that you have a faulty bank one sensor one oxygen sensor. The P0130 is for the heater side of the oxygen sensor in P0133 is for a slow response time to the computer. Proper testing of the oxygen sensor will confirm this. Bank one sensor one is the sensor before the catalytic converter.

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If your feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Randy,

thank you for the answer. I am a green DIY type here. a little more background. 1997 4runner, 182,000 miles. Last week received codes P0304 and P0300. thinking is was an issue with the plugs/wires/coils. given the coils/wires had 182,000 miles and the plugs 60,000+, replaced everything. Now receiving the P0130 and P0133. Where would I find the O2 sensor, what does it look like? Is this something I can change myself? Is the part inexpensive enough to just change out without testing?

Any addional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time

Len...

a

Is this a four cylinder or V6 engine?

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, V6

No problem the oxygen sensor is located in the exhaust system just before the catalytic converter. There is a four wire connector that goes to the sensor. You can buy the sensor at most part stores or you can buy a Toyota factory sensor from www.metrotoyotapartsnow.com . If you order online let them know that I sent you, they have good prices. The tuneup parts and work that you did probably was unrelated to the sensor failure. It probably would've happened anyway.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know this is going to sound stupid, but where is the catalytic converter located? Is there only 1? I ask this becuase it says bank 1, which leads me to believe there maybe more then 1 bank.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Even though there is a bank one and bank two on this engine it only uses one sensor to monitor both banks. If you follow the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine down towards the back the oxygen sensor is mounted in this front pipe. It is approximately 2.5 inches long with four wires coming out of it to an electrical connector.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Randy,

Is this something I can do in my driveway? Any special tools needed?

Also, forgot to mention that the truck feels like it is misfiring and or running rough. would th eO2 sensor cause the truck to run rough?

In a worst case scenario the oxygen sensor could cause a lean misfire. This would be very unlikely though. The sensor only becomes difficult to change if it is frozen in the pipe. Once the connector is disconnected the sensor unscrews from the pipe. There is a special socket that you can use. Or a simple 7/8 box wrench slid over the wiring will work. Because it is a truck is easy to get underneath.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also received a P0304 and P0300. Replaced all 3 coils, spark plugs, wires, pcv, and vacuum hose from pcv to intake. Truck appears to run smoothly when 1st started. Though when it is re-started after sitting for 15 minutes or so, it will start out runnin very rough, after it heats back up, feels like it is running normal. any ideas.?

I thought about replacing the vacuum lines, maybe there is a crack in one of them. Most of the problems seem to be with cyl 4, which I assume is left side, middle.

Also, since I am taking more of your time, how do I send you some more money?

If you are still getting the misfire codes after the coil and spark plug replacements there may be an issue with the injectors. If the injectors are the original with that kind of mileage they may be restricted. If you are just getting a rough idle the idle air control valve that is bolted to the bottom of the throttle body is known to get gummed up and cause the idle to stick low which will cause a rough idle. I would pull the throttle body and clean the throttle plate and the idle air control valve.

You can leave me a just answer bonus and that will give me a little extra cash and would be greatly appreciated. If you need further assistance just reply to this post.

RXXXXX XXXXX

PS did you replace the fuel filter? Just a thought.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Randy,

You did not answer with respect to the vacuum lines. could they be causing any problems? If so, I do identify and replace?

thanks,

While it is idling rough spray everything down with carb cleaner. (ONLY IF THE SPARK PLUG WIRES ARE NOT ARCING AND STAY AWAY FROM THE ALTERNATOR OR FIRE WILL RESULT) if the idle smooths out then they are leaking.

RXXXXX XXXXX