Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

2006 sequoia VSC trac and VSC lights check engine light on

Customer Question

2006 sequoia VSC trac and VSC lights check engine light on truck is in "limp mode" this happened while my wife was on the freeway at 60MPH. what causes this?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

This car is OBD compatible most parts stores like Auto Zone can do free code reads. If you can get me the code number I can better advise you. The VSC and trac light come on by default when the check engine light comes on. It sounds like there may be an issue with the drive by wire throttle body system but if you can get a code number I can better assist you.

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Randy

Well that would be nice but I am not in the country, I know the info is limited but I will see if I can get thoses codes for you. All this happened while my Wife was driving with the kids in the truck, she has made an appointment at the dealer this Friday but I just wanted to get a handle on what the possible cause might be.

I will try and get those codes and get back to you.

Dean Yuba

You or the truck are not in the country? If I had to make a wager not knowing the code based on the info of the truck driving in limp in mode it sounds like something in the throttle control I have seen problems with them. Try and get the codes and if you need a second opinion on what the dealer is telling you reply to this post. How many miles do you have on the truck?

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
21k on the clock, the truck is in Los Angeles I am in Singapore!
But so far you are the only person who has even an idea what i might be, I checked all the forums ad have got answers ranging from the ECU to the gas cap wasnt closed all the way. Your answer makes the most sense I just dont want the wife getting ripedoff.
Its a 2006 SR5 Sequoia 2WD and its a great truck and this is the only problem we have had so far. I dont really drive too much I am a bike rider this is mainly my wifes daily driver, so that it why I am concerned.
I will see if I can get some one to pull the codes for you but I REALLY appreaciate your responce.

Dean Yuba

Electrical warranty is 3 years and 36,000 miles so she may still be under warranty. Have her go to an auto zone or similar parts store (if it is a safe area) and have them pull the codes and get them to me. Tell her not to spend any money on repairs until you get me the codes to verify.

RXXXXX XXXXX