Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

My steering wheel squeaks when making turns. Sounds like

My steering wheel "squeaks" when making turns. Sounds like it is coming from just behind the airbag/horn. Can I lubricate it with anything to stop the squeak without having to tear the entire thing apart?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Toyota?
-What model is your Toyota?
-How many miles are on your Toyota?
-What type of engine is in your Toyota?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2002 Toyota Highlander, 81000 miles, 2.4 Liter, 4 cylinder

Have tried silicone spray and WD-40

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification. Have you traced the source of the noise yet? Most steering noises on this vehicle will come from the base of the column where it exits the cabin, if you look down by the brake pedal you will see a large black rubber boot that the steering shaft exits the cabin through, the contact point between the column and boot tends to dry out and drag resulting in a squeek noise. I have found silicone grease (similar to vaseline) works best on this, I usually use some parts cleaner to prep the area and either use a q-tip or my small finger and work the solution around the steering shaft and down into the boot contact.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Checked that. This squeak is coming from the top of the column right behind the horn/airbag assembly between the rotating steering wheel head and top of the column.

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the reply. If the noise is from up top (and you are sure that the noise is not traveling up the column) then the steering coulmn cover behind the wheel needs to be removed to inspect with a stethoscope. If the noise goes away then this is a cover issue. If not: The only other part that moves in this area would be the SIR coil (also called a clock spring by some). Sometimes these will get noisey and cause this however replacing this components requires removing the air bag and steering wheel, not to be attempted by anyone that is not properly trained in air bag safety and repair procedures. let me know what you find here. There is a serive bulletin for a cover noise on this year but you need to remove the cover to verify first. If this does not resolve anything then it will need some tear down to trace, most likely related to the bulletin, clcik the link below.Thanks!

DOWNLOAD

Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified