Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

Toyota Camry: LE..cyl..171 and 1135 , shop just changed bk 1 sensor 1

Toyota Camry 99 LE 4 cyl, codes 171 and 1135 , shop just changed bk 1 sensor 1 due to codes, when reset takes about 3 miles to pop on again. (popped on also after service and 3 miles)
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 5 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

Are you getting both the same codes back or just one of them? What did the shop say about their work? Do you have California emissions?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
getting both, the shop just told me they changed the rear one. So, they did not change the bank one sensor one which is by the firewall.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not california

Bank one sensor one is on the exhaust manifold and the wire is strapped to the upper radiator hose and the connector for it is by the back of the cylinder head if you have a 4 cylinder like you mentioned above.

Please clarify somethings for me. P1135 is a California spec code only for the AFR sensor which is different from a O2 sensor. They just look the same. You said you do not have California emissions. Can you recheck the code numbers. P0135 is a heater malfunction for the B1S1 non California emissions. A heater circuit malfunction will not set a P0171 code either.

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I am not in california, but the car has a sticker that it meets california. Could you also give me as much info as possible so the shop gets the correct sensor and where it is. Have a picture handy?

I have to step out for a couple of hours and when I get back this evening I will post all of the info you need to make your head hurt. It is a 4 cylinder and not a V6 and you are certain of the code numbers correct?

Check back 11pm or so EST

RXXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am on codes, appreciate the feedback. Will certainly use again, no hurry.

The P1135 is a low current malfunction on the AFR heater circuit of bank 1 sensor 1. Ideally you need to test the voltage at the computer Pin HTAF it should read 12 volts. With in a minute or two the voltage should drop to 0 to 2 volts when the computer turns the ground circuit on to energize the circuit and heat up the sensor. If the voltage is not 12 volts then you need to check the voltage at the sensor. If the computer never drops the voltage then the driver is bad in the computer. 90% of the time the AFR sensor is bad but in some rare cases I have seen them take out the computer also. Click the link below for some more info. Theoretically the P0171 could set if there is an exhaust leak just befor the AFR sensor but it is virtually impossible on this engine. About the only way to set a P0171 code is because of fuel restriction or low pressure becasue of the MAP sensor on this engine.

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD

RXXXXX XXXXX

Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Toyota Master Diagnostic