Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

1997 Toyota Avalon: tail lights..lights went..fuses are ok..bulbs

Customer Question

My 1997 Toyota Avalon tail lights went out. All other lights work fine. All fuses are ok, as are the bulbs. No power to the rear tail lights. I bought a tail light relay. Was told I could find this on the instrument panel J/B which was not true. Is there a relay? I see one for the headlights under the hood I also noticed a lamp failure switch or relay in the trunk. I found this to be very expensive @ the dealer. Are these interchangeable with other models of Toyota's? Would like to try this from a salvage yard but they have no record that other Toyota lamp failure switchs will interchange. What tests do you suggest??

Thanks, Dale
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for using just answer. I am looking at some schematics and diagrams right now. One thing I need to clarify on this- when you state tail lights do you mean ALL rear lighting including the brake lamps or just the tail lamps that come on with the headlamps activated?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Just the tail lamps. Headlights and front running/marker lights OK.. Brakes OK ..Turn signals OK.... Flashers OK

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have some very useful information for you here. Start by clicking the 2 downloads I have posted information to below:

Using these documents you can trace and locate component location. I don't recommend you just throw parts at the car, use the schematic I have provided and properly identify the problem. Thanks and let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I do not SEE the tail light relay on the instrument panel..under the dash.. Is it hiding in the back?? I see three relays on the back side but none that look or attach like this relay. Do I have to remove something else under the dash to access this relay??

Do you suspect my problem lies with the rear tail lamp failure switch??

Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Did you click and view the 2 downloads I posted earlier??? The relay that you refer to is on the i/p j/b, this is clearly shown on the diagram on download 2. I have 1 other piece of information that can be helpful to you, take a look at this:

To answer your question on what I suspect.....I don't suspect anything, as I stated above in my previous statement I do NOT throw parts at a car, this only leads to unneeded $$$$ and frustration and rarely solves a problem. The relay that you are referring to is integrated into what is called the integration relay in this junction block. If you want to solve this issue then the proper method would be to print out the downloads I provided and test the circuit. I don't recommend it but if you insist on throwing a part at the car then the integration relay is the most likely issue if all fuses and connections are good.