autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance
157591

I own a 2001 Toyota Celica. The transmission is making a noise

I own a 2001 Toyota Celica. The transmission is making a noise and my mechanic has told me that I have to replace both the Differential and the Transmission although the differential is really the only problem. They have quoted $5000.00 to do this work. Is this really the case. Can't a person fix the differential without replacing the transmission.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 6 years ago.

The problem is the differential is integral to the transaxle. If the differential needs to be replaced the transmission needs to come apart to replace it. While it is apart that is the time to replace the transmission components. Most shops wont do one without the other because then it is a liability issue if the transmission starts acting up right after they had it apart to fix the differential. Here is the part price and labor time so you can compare it to your shops estimate. This is for a remanufactured transmission not having the shop rebuild it.

PartOEM PartPrice
Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
U341E
Transaxle Assembly305102B81084$2293.76
U240E
Transaxle Assembly305102B80084$2438.56

Replace
U341E
Complete Assembly Without Transfer Of PartsB0.06.7Notes
NOTE
To R&R Driveplate, AddB0.00.2Notes
To R&R Torque Converter, AddB0.00.2Notes
Complete Assembly With Transfer Of PartsB5.27.3Notes
NOTE
To R&R Driveplate, AddB0.00.2Notes
To Flush Cooler Lines, AddB0.00.6Notes
U240E
NOTE
To R&R Driveplate, AddB0.00.2Notes
NOTE
To R&R Driveplate, AddB0.00.2Notes
To Flush Cooler Lines, AddB0.00.6Notes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I forgot to tell you this is a 5 speed manual transmission.

In that case then you should be able to replace the differential parts and the bearings in the transmission. Here is the info for a manual transmission.

PartOEM PartPrice
Manual Transmission/Transaxle
C56
Transaxle Assembly303002D010$2186.99Notes
Contact dealer for most current part and price information.
C60
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Manual Transmission/Transaxle
Replace
C56
Complete Assembly Without Transfer Of PartsB0.06.3Notes
Complete Assembly With Transfer Of PartsB4.66.6Notes
C60

autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance