Toyotapro
Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
9414525

2005 Toyota Matrix: tightening..drive shaft..bolt, torque spec., etc)

Customer Question

What is the procedure for tightening the drive shaft bolt on a 2005 Toyota Matrix (location of bolt, torque spec., etc)?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer is the vehicle 2 orXXXXX
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Two wheel drive
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 years ago.
The bolt from the drive shaft to the wheel hub?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That is my guess; the adjustment requirement was taken from the maintenance schedule furnished with the vehicle at time of purchase, so detail was pretty vague.
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Customer

THank you for your reply, I see the oroginal expert is offline and you are waiting,allow me to shed some light on this for you. Click the link I loaded below:

Download

The torque spec. for the axle end nut is 159 ft-lbs however this was an oversight by toyota. The newer toyota's use a "staked" end nut that is not reusable once destaked. Look closely at your axle nut and you will see a small section is pinched/staked/bent inward to the recession in the axle, this is what replaced the cotter pins in older toyota's to retain the nut in place and to proper torque under load. The owners manual had an oversight regarding this, I have spoken to the engineers at the technical service department regarding this a couple years back and they told me to ignore this in the service schedule. If you axle nut was a problem you would hear a "click" noise from axle movement everytime you accelerated. It requires a special service tool and socke to remove/install these nuts.

Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience: ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 years ago.
Okay. If it is part of the maintenance schedule then driveshaft tightening is only required on theXXXXXmodel. There is no maintenance schedule for tightening the axle nut.