Toyotapro, ASE master tech
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years Lexus and Toyota Certified

My 2000 toyota camry will just randomly not start. I have replaced

My 2000 toyota camry will just randomly not start. I have replaced the alt., fuel relay pump. I have been told that the starter is good. It will start fine for weeks then nothing. It will try to turn over but nothing, sometimes it will start in a few minutes and sometimes not untill the next day. I am wondering if it is an electrical problem or something with the key (not factory) or the igniton
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for using just answer. Please clarify 4 or 6 cylinder engine? When you say no start do you mean that the engine is turning over and will not run or will the engine not crank over/move?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is a 6 cylinder and it will try to start - make a noise like it is going to start but will not completely turn over-I get power to my lights, windows etc. Hope this helps
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for some clarification, when you say sounds like it try to start what sound does it make? A single click noise, a rapid clicking, etfc....? Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is turning over but wont catch (sorry I am special when it comes to cars)
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
THat's ok, we can narrow it down with even simple statements, when it turns over does it seem to crank faster or slower then normal? Do you get issues with the engine idling at very low speed once started, does it tend to stall if you don't keep your foot on the gas? To verify here (your statements kind of lead me 2 directions) please verify the engine IS turning/revolving/cranking but not starting correct?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes thats correct. It doesnt seem to crank faster or slower than normal but I may not notice- it is not always a clean start it sometimes feels like it takes some effort to start-if that makes sense, but then it will go weeks with no problems, i think it is possesed. It does not seem to idle low when it starts and it has never stalled on me-once it is started there doesn't seem to be a problem
Expert:  Toyotapro replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the clarifications and continued replies. Unfornutely I don't really have much to go on without some technical data here. If the car is cranking normally but not starting then this could be several things. Could be fuel pressure, could be an egr valve sticking open, could be an issue with no crank sensor signal, could be a ignition switch issue. This vehicle would need to be diagnosed hands-on by a qualified technican when the problem occurs. This can be frustrating, as you stated it only happens at times and you could leave the car at a shop for 3 weeks and never have a problem. A scan tool test would be a good place to start to see if any pending codes have stored. Check to be sure that the air meter connector is tight. Basically it will need to be checked to see if the car is lacking spark, fuel or compression when this happens.