Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

1988 toyota: i add transmission fluid..grinding..shift..3rd gear

how do i add transmission fluid to my 1988 toyota truck? there is a grinding when i try to shift into 3rd gear now...i think it needs more fluid.............................thanks

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing

Do you have a 2 or 4 WD truck?

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks's aXXXXX

The link below shows the transmission case and the filler plug is high lighted. The transmission use 80w90 gear oil. Fill it till it starts to run out the hole. You need a suction gun or use a hose on the end of the bottle of oil and squeeze it into the hole. If the trans is grinding and making noise you may need an input shaft bearing. These are notorious for going bad.