Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic

1999 prizm: corolla) with p0446 code..gas cap

Customer Question

Have a 1999 prizm (same as corolla) with p0446 code. Replaced gas cap first. where do I go from here without forking over $200 fro some mechanic to tell me its a simple fix?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing

Well yelling and cursing is only going to make the neighbors mad so try this info. The problem 90% of the time is the VSV on the charcoal canister. They are notorious to go bad especially in the northern states. Click on the links below for some exciting reading that you will be able to brag to your buddies about knowing. ha ha I also posted a TSB for the 99 Corolla ECU problem that sets a P0446 I don't know if it applies to the prizm or not but you can check it out. The second download will explain the system a little just to make you dangerous. If you would like more exciting reading let me know and I can get you a link with the complete evap systems and break down on the operations.

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Another thing I'm cussing. These wont download fro me. any other way to receive?

The DOWNLOAD buttons are just links to the PDF files. If you have adobe they should work if you click on them. I just checked them. Try the 2 links above for the files on a file server try downloading them from there and let me know if you can get them.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi. Ok...I'm not toatally helpless.I just got this stupid computer and needed to activate a software. I was able to download the files. Not sure if this will help me, but it will give me good reasons to skin a few knuckles this weekend. thanks for your help. rick

Good luck, I am not 100% certain that the prism is the same on evap as the corolla but you should be good to go.