Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

1996 toyota t100: check engine light..misfire..spark plugs..new coil

Customer Question

have a 1996 toyota t100 had a check engine light come on told it was a misfire on the number 4 cyclinder .replace spark plugs and wires put on new coil for number 4 cyclinder what now
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 8 years ago.

You have many options with today's internet so Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.com.

The next step is to check compression of the cylinder you need 140 to 180 psi. Check the injector to make sure it is clicking. You need to check the pulse width of the input to the injector 3.0 ms is about normal at idle. I have seen restricted injectors on this engine. You could always swap the injector to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows the cylinder that would confirm before you but an injector. Have you checked for vacuum leaks around the intake?

RXXXXX XXXXX

P.S. I take great pride in providing quality responses for the people I assist. If you believe that I have been professional and helpful in my assistance please don't forget to give a positive rating for this exchange and click the accept button. If you feel my answer does not address your issues, please just tell me and I will opt out, allowing another technician to address your situation. My Goal is to make this experience one you appreciate.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
have not checked 4 vacuum likes but can hear clicking on that injector

The injectors on the drivers side are reasonably easy to swap. This might be an option before buying one. Make sure you have ruled out the compression first. You used quality parts for the coil and wires and plugs?

RXXXXX XXXXX