Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

2004 Toyota Rav4: the 100,000 mile mark and the VSC TRAC..manual says

I have a 2004 Toyota Rav4. I just passed the 100,000 mile mark and the VSC TRAC, TRAC OFF and Check Engine lights have come on. The owner's manual says to take it to the dealer. What am I looking at here in the way of repairs? Does this have anything to do with mileage?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 8 years ago.
The main cause for these lights to come on is that there is a malfunction with an input signal to the engine control module(ECM), the check engine light normally turns on first and then the other lights come on as well so the engine light needs to be addressed first because the vsc/trac functions are disabled when the MIL turns on. When the engine control malfunction is repaired and the light reset the other lights will go off as well. So basically your'e looking at retreiving the trouble codes for the check engine light, there are a couple of ways to do this, go to the toyota dealer or an independent repair place to get the codes and a recommendation of what should be done to correct this, they will charge a diagnostic fee, or if there is an autozone or similar large autoparts outlet you can contact them, they will help you get the trouble codes at no charge but rarely will tell you what to do about them, you could do that and then get back to me and I will help but I will need the specific code number.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just went to Auto Zone and they got a trouble code of P0442. It may help to know that I just had a new fuel pump installed a week ago. I had hit a truck tire tread at highway speed and it dented my gas tank enough to bread the fuel pump.
Thanks for any help you can give.

The po442 code is an evaporative emission control leak, there is a vapor recovery system leak, since the fuel tank was damaged enough to break the fuel pump the tank may have to be replaced, check for damage to the evap system canister, it's also located under the car, check for any hoses that may have come off. The best advise I have at this time is to have a toyota dealer check the system since there may be physical damge to some of the system.